Running Eagle Falls

Running Eagle Falls
Two Medicine, Glacier National Park

Monday, May 3, 2010

Picture of Pictures

I'm still figuring out my Photoshop software.  I received it as a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law and have only started using it in the last couple of weeks.  So, I find my self compelled to play, perfecting my edge, creating new and interest photos.

Today I was just flittering through some of my photos and had an idea...I wanted to see how many wildlife photographs that I had.  So I started going through them looking for specific views.  Some of the photos were blurry and even Photoshop couldn't correct it, although I DID learn HOW to correct lens blur : )  Some were already in great shape.  Some were taken with my old camera and the pixels per inch were weak for what I was looking to accomplish.

But, I played quite a bit in the program.  Not only did I learn how to correct blur, but how to save the photos to a specific size or pixel per inch setting.  I used 300 ppi for a guide. Some pictures couldn't be printed larger than 5x7 without looking pixellated.  So, I decided to print all the photos in 5x7 size. A couple are still a little weak to my standards, but I enjoyed the time spent nonetheless.

I'm also still working with my printer and am extremely surprised at not just the quality of print, but the speed of printing.  I've also not made much of a dent in my ink, which makes me VERY happy : )

Here is the composition I came up with today...starting with the top left, you'll see big horn sheep, antelope and a moose.  On the right, elk and bison.  I dubbed this my "Wildlife Collection" and hope to add bear and mountain goat to it still. 




The sheep, all female, were seen at the entrance of Many Glacier just a couple weeks ago.  The antelope we saw on a trip to Great Falls off of highway 15.  We often see antelope on that trip.  The moose was also seen at Many Glacier the same visit as the sheep. We actually saw moose in three different settings, one with a baby.  Unfortunately, they were too blurry. I was using my 500 mm lens with no tripod or remote and there was a little bit of wind. One of the moose we saw was splashing in the river.  I started towards her and she moved out of the water and watched me closely.  At one time I had the feeling she was going to charge, but luckily, she didn't, she just walked into the field. I did have my bear spray with me, though, so I wasn't really worried.

The elk were seen in St. Mary.  We went for a hike about a month ago.  While waiting for the kids to use the potty before hitting the trail, I noticed a couple heads in the distance.  They were so still, they almost looked fake.  I got out my tripod and began to walk towards them hoping to get a nice shot.  As I walked closer, more elk came out of the woods into the clearing.  I continued to walk closer to them, pausing in intervals to get off a few shots.  They were very aware of my presence, but not aggressive.   I was able to get maybe 20-30 feet away and they spooked and ran off.  My husband counted around 60 females in the herd.  It was an amazing experience.  I felt like I worked for National Geographic.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with how my prints turned out today.  Now I need to get some frames and mats.  I'm thinking of buying one frame with a mat that has five openings for the shots.  I think it would be a need composition that way rather than framing and hanging them separately. 

I also found out that my camera may limit me to a maximum of 11x14 prints.  I did, however, order a 16x20 print from my printer today to see how the quality is with that stretch.  I also received my B&H catalog in the mail!!!  It's about an inch or inch and a half think and chalked full of photography toys : )  Time to make out my wish list : )

I'm hoping that the wind subsides and the temperature warms here this week so I can actually get some shooting time in rather than just playing with the photos.  But, until then, I'll still be having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment